by Pk

[France] Summer in Lille

08:25

Bonjour! Je suis PK! Comment ça va?

Hahaha kidding, I am not going to write this post in French (can't write in French either)! Supposedly I am the post-spammer but summer school and all the traveling have been taking a toll on me. Not complaining about this jam-packed summer though. Since I am slowing down my wanderlusting pace and Jane got the ball re-rolling, I shall make a comeback after a long 2 month hiatus! But...

Honestly, I have way tooooooo much to share and have no idea where to start from! Just for the summer alone (I am only half way through), I have been to various cities in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and Sweden... Good life you would say but I swear traveling too much is damn exhausting!

Anyways, let me just share some snapshots of Lille, France where I stayed for a month for my incredible summer school! Though I didn't really tour Lille like a tourist but I have so much love for this place because of those special memories made. 


Grand Place

Lille is a city in the North of France. It is the principal city of the Lille Métropole, just 1hr 15min train ride from Paris Gare du Nord by SNCF. Lille is situated in French Flanders, on the Deûle River, near France's border with Belgium, which explains the strong beer culture in the city. Though Lille is a small city, but it's well connected by metro, tram and buses! Super convenient!


Random streets in Lille




  




Marche de Wazemmes












Wazemmes is a really good market to go to on a sunday where everywhere els is close. This market basically sells every thing, from fresh and cooked food to paintings, clothing, hardware, flowers and etc. If you were there, be sure to buy a roasted chicken (Poulet, €6 for small), trust me its sooooo good! But one very important note is to beware of pickpockets, very typical Europe but always always keep an eye on your valueables!


Open: Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Get there: Metro Republique. Metro 2 to Gare Lille Flandres then Line 1 to Gambetta




Opéra de Lille




France is all about art, and I was lucky enough to be in Lille in June when there were various free art exhibitions and performances showcasing throughout the whole city! This outdoor opera screening was one of them! It was situated right outside Opéra de Lille, what an experience!

More info: www.opera-lille.fr


Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille









This art gallery is known to be the second largest art museum in France after The Louvre in Paris. Lucky me got to see the Donald Duck exhibition which was pretty hilarious and interesting! I expected a designated area for a small collection of "serious" Donald Duck art pieces, but surprisingly donald was EVERYWHERE, imitating some famous art pieces. Every Donald Duck art piece caught me by surprise and they were so hilarious!

Open: 2-5.30pm Mon, 10am-5.30pm Wed-Sun
Get there: Metro station République-Beaux Arts
Price: Adult €6.50/ Child Free
More info: www.pba-lille.fr


Crêpes







Had countless crepes in France, what more can I say about this wonderful French creation???

Recommendations:

Crêperie de la vieille bourse
6 Rue des 7 Agaches
59000 Lille
France
(Opposite Opéra de Lille)

La Crêperie
4 Rue des Débris Saint-Etienne
59800 Lille
France
(By the corner of Grand Place)

La Crêperie
64 Rue de Gand
59000 Lille
France
(Along Ville de Lille)



Parc Zoologique de Lille






A free entrance, YES FREE, zoo located within Citadelle de Lille. Perfect place to hangout with friends during the summer!

Open: 10am to 18pm on weekdays and from 10h to 19h on weekends. 
Get there: Metro line 1, station République Beaux Arts 


More art festivals!






Words can't describe how much I enjoyed my time in Lille and how much fond memories I have made in this small yet cozy city. I had the most amazing summer ever and I do encourage all students out there to take up an overseas summer course (if you can afford it) at least once in your life! It's life changing to me and I am sure you will have an incredible time too! Also, do visit Lille for a day or so if you have the chance to! 



Next up post shall be........... let me throw dice first. Hahahaha!

À bientôt!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook